Informatica World Introduces Data Integration Hub & Vibe
Data Integration Hub
Data Integration Hub was one of the more interesting announcements at Informatica World. Almost all of us in the integration business have built something like it at one time, but now it is a product built on the best that Informatica has to offer. With the ability to intake almost any kind of data, store it in the Hub and then publish it out for subscriptions, point-to-point integration is now simplified.
Informatica DIH is the first out-of-the-box integration hub using the publish/subscribe model in a data integration context. Powered by Informatica Vibe virtual data machine, Informatica DIH enables enterprises to decouple data sources and destinations as well as leverage logical models to reduce the number of interfaces. The innovative architecture approach reduces onboarding time and complexity by empowering application owners to self-subscribe to a centralized catalogue of published data sets.
With Informatica DIH, customers are able to:
- Unlock rapid innovation potential by onboarding new applications and technologies through self-service subscriptions
- Reduce integration complexity and maintenance cost by diminishing point-to-point interfaces
- Improve business operations and reduce risk by ensuring timely, trusted data is used throughout the enterprise
The Data Integration Hub simplifies application-to-application data integration so that organizations can support any volume, format, latency, or protocol within a single data integration platform. And because it’s a hub, data management, monitoring, and control are all centralized. This ensures that data moving through the Hub is trustworthy, secure, and traceable.
The key benefits include:
- Optimization of data integration services to better meet business needs at lower cost
- Delivery of certified data anywhere, every time
- Assurance never to lose track of another piece of data again
Look for Informatica Data Integration Hub to be generally available in the 3rd quarter of 2013. It is currently available for Beta customers.
A lot of industry excitement was generated at Informatica World with the Informatica announcement of Vibe, the virtual data engine. In simple terms, Vibe allows users to map once and deploy anywhere, meaning a data integration map can be written in PowerCenter Express and used in PowerCenter Enterprise, the cloud, in Hadoop and anywhere in the future.
With the emergence of big data, data collection from devices, cloud-based deployment and the ever-increasing traditional enterprise methods for creating data, data integration must be seamless and agile. The industry needed an easy way to deploy and manage solutions to collect and process this massive amount of data, making it available for business to make better decisions in a timely manner.
Vibe allows users to create a data integration map once and run it across multiple environments. The Vibe VDM separates the data integration instructions (which map out the business logic for handling data) from underlying execution technology. This means users can simply map logic once without recoding anything and then deploy it across multiple environments – on-premise, cloud, Hadoop clusters and other platforms. Further, the data can be used for batch or real-time applications. With Vibe, there is no need to worry about the massive changes in data technologies or how integration patterns might change.
So is Vibe something new? No, this is technology that has been in PowerCenter and Informatica Cloud. This powerful engine is now made to be deployable in any environment.
Looking a little deeper: Vibe, the VDM consists of four parts and an SDK (see Figure 1):
- Transformation library contains pre-built libraries for actions such as combine, transform, cleans, match and mask
- Optimizer enables effective resource usage and efficient run-time
- Executor is the run-time execution engine
- Connectors provide access to multiple upstream and downstream data source
- Vibe SDK enables a partner ecosystem